Chef Roshni Shares her Signature Recipes
So what’s on the menu? Chef Roshni Gurnani showcases Fusion Sushi, Curry Infused Swordfish with creamed spinach, and Coriander crusted rack of Lamb with Bombay smashed potato, baby carrots and an onion tomato salad. Bon Appétit!
Fusion Sushi: Yield 2 Rolls
½ cup Japanese sushi rice
1.2 cup water
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbs roasted cumin seed
¼ cup shredded boneless precooked cold tandoori chicken or keema
4 tbs fine chopped coriander
1 tsp plain yogurt
½ red onion sliced thin
1 sushi rolling mat (available at any Asian Market)
1)In a large pot add water, salt, sugar and vinegar and bring to a boil on high heat. Once boiling, add rice, turn heat to low, cover and cook rice for 25 mins. Once rice is cooked take out of pot and cool down on a large tray. NOTE: rice will be sticky, this is the texture needed.
2) Cover sushi rolling mat with cling wrap. Once covered, sprinkle the matt with a pinch of roasted cumin seeds. Spread evenly throughout mat.
3) Once rice is cool down, place about 1 hand full of rice on the mat and make sure to spread it out to each corner of the making a thin layer of rice.
4) Once rice is spread, take about 3 tbs of the cooked chicken or keema mixture and in a line place it in the middle of the rice mixture. NOTE: Chicken ir keema can be cooked a day prior.
5) Now take one side of the mat and roll it over to the other side, tightening as needed to form and even roll. Once rolled cut the roll into 6 round pieces.
6) mix finely chopped coriander with yogurt and serve as a dipping sauce
7) squeeze the juice of the lime over the thinly sliced onion and served as pickled onion.
Curry Infused Swordfish with creamed spinach:
2- 6oz sword fish steaks (boneless)
5 tbs curry powder
3 tbs ginger & garlic paste
2 tbs dried methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
4 large shelled eggs
2 lbs fresh baby spinach
3 fresh tomatoes
1 tbs chili powder
1 cup heavy cream
5 tbs salt & pepper mix
½ cup oil
5 tbs butter
5 tbs fresh coriander
1) Combine curry powder, ginger, garlic paste, oil and methi together. Gently rub fish with the mixture.
2) In a small pot bring 1 cup of water to a boil and take of heat, let stand for 3 mins.
3) Gently separate egg yolk form white. Discard egg white. Carefully place egg yolks into the once boiling pot of water and let stand for 5 mins.
4) Heat sauté pan with butter and wilt spinach. Dice tomatoes and add into the pan with only 2 mins remaining. Add salt & pepper to taste.
5) In a small pan heat heavy cream and combine with chili powder
6) On a hot grill/BBQ, grill of swordfish for about 4 mins each side, until med rare.
7) On a plate, place wilted spinach, top with sword fish. Top swordfish with easy cooked yolk and drizzle with chili cream sauce, garnish with lemon
Coriander crusted rack of Lamb with Bombay Smashed Potato, Baby Carrots and an Onion Tomato Salad:
½ lbs coriander
6 cloves fresh garlic
5 tbs fresh ginger
2 Thai green chili
2 tbs tomato paste
5 medium size potatoes
½ heavy cream
2 cups water
2 tbs turmeric powder
2 tbs mustard seeds
1tbs fenugreek seed
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup heavy cream
6 tbs butter
6 red onions
6 fresh tomatoes
1) In a blender, blend together coriander, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 tbs ginger, 1 green chili, and tomato paste
2) Rub lamb rack with blended mixture and set aside.
3) In a sauté pan heat 2 tbs oil and sear lamb for 3 mins. Once sear, place pan of lamb with baby carrots in the oven and bake on 350’ for 8 mins.
4) Peel onions and julienne them, place them in ice cold water. Deseed and julienne tomatoes, set aside.
5) In a pot boil heavy cream, water, turmeric and potatoes for about 10 mins, or until cooked.
6) While potatoes are cooking, in a sautee pan, heat butter, and temper mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
7) When potatoes are cooked, drain from liquid and gently smash with a fork. Add smashed potatoes to sautee pan of tempered seeds and mix
8) Once lamb has rested for a few minus carve lamb into single chops. Arrange on a plate: smashed potatoes, topped with 3 lamb chops, with 3 baby carrots on side. Top lamb chops with onion tomato salad.